Monday, July 20, 2009

Wine, Manners & Summer Movies

I used to love going to movies, especially summer blockbusters. There was always something about the event as a kid. Things have changed, though, and going to those, "events", aren't the same.

There was always a build-up to the movie, sneak-peeks on TV, a buzz in the neighborhood, then the event, the real buttered popcorn, (OK I just dated myself), the dinner afterwards, the real enthusiasm to see it again. So off to the theatre we went to see the new release. My wife & I enjoyed a bottle of Chilean Carmenere, some grilled fish and the kids had their usual cheeseburgers. The event was on its way. I felt like a kid again, viewing the anticipation through my kids eyes and actions. The dinner conversation was robust and the "don't touch me, stop touching me", dinner events we experience was replaced by good humored, enjoyment of company time and subject matter. It was almost too good to be true. And it was.

Many people don't take the time anymore to instruct manners to their kids and it shows up in crowded theatres where the tweenagers are left to let loose. Couple this with the new parents seeking a night out and bring the infant to the theatre, maybe trying to save a babysitter buck, I get it, but really? How about the Grand mother that lights up in the back row with the posse of kids attached to her hip seemed a bit over the top. We were in movie hell, slowly watching our perfect evening sink, leaving us stranded like a shipwrecked crew on the lost island of ill-mannered movie goers. It was then that I was reminded why I spend the cash for Direct TV, Tivo & HD TV. Why I prefer to grill my own fish and toss my own salad, and keep a moderate supply of red & white wine and Ice Cream on hand. How Mr. Reddenbacher did the rest of us a favor with his micro wave popcorn and that the comfort of my couch, and easy viewing of the family wide screen was worth the Christmas Bonus I got Three years ago.

We left the theatre, made a "B" Line for the Managers office to get a refund of the $72 for the 3-D premium tickets we over-paid for and re-capped our displeasure of the entire experience. It wasn't the smoking Granny that did it, It wasn't the four teens that wouldn't stop talking, texting and laying over a row of seven chairs between them, it wasn't the crying infant that simply needed a burp, it wasn't the endless passing of bodies between chairs to and from the bathroom and snack rack that did it. Simply put, we had a great night out and wanted to keep it that way. The thought of talking to my family, playing a board game and watching a $5 pay-per-view with a chilled bottle of sparkling wine and endless moose tracks ice cream, made the once momentous event at the theatre pale in comparison.

I don't fault others for their behavior in crowds; really, that is a persons upbringing and many just haven't been taught how to act in a respectful manner. I know many will disagree, but why waste your breath on those less respectful of others. They'd never get it in a million years. So here's to the home theatre. I'll wait for the DVD next time.

Oh Yes, the wine, a 2007 Conco Y Toro Carmenere & a Bottle of Gruet Brut from New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment